Canker Sores

Pinkle

Does anyone else here get canker sores or ulcers in their mouth when they are sick? They only seem to plague me right before a cold comes on, or when I am dealing with some other type of illness. This go round, they hit right after I sustained a puncture wound and started taking antibiotics for it. They are so painful; I wish they'd hurry up and go away!

Anything I can do to alleviate the pain in the meantime?

Myrrh

I was about to start a discussion on canker sores, too. I think I get canker sores more often than others, and I am actually suffering from one on my tongue right now. Some say that salt water gargle may be helpful in getting rid of canker sores.

Primrose

Like you Pinkle, mine ususally come when I am either getting ready to sick or I am in the middle of an illness. If they don't go away by the time I'm well, I usually put a little alum on the sore and leave it there for as long as I can. I'm sure this won't be but 30 to 60 seconds at the most. In extreme cases, I have used merthiolate which works beautifully if you can get past the taste.

Pinkle

Myrrh, now that you mention, I think I have read elsewhere about salt water gargles. I'll definitely start gargling with it a couple of times a day.

Primrose, I hate to sound dumb, but what are alum and merthiolate?

SoftRain

Whenever I had canker sores, I used the salt water gargle and it seemed to help. I don't know what alum and merthiolate are either, Pinkle!

Primrose

Alum is a powdered chemical compound that stays in my spice cabinet and is used in making pickles. Merthiolate is an anteseptic much like alcohol but without the sting. It is made from thimerosal. From Wikipedia "thimerosal, is an organomercury compound. This compound is a well established antiseptic and antifungal agent." I remember liking this as a kid for scrapes and cuts because it didn't sting. It's available at most drug stores.

SoftRain

Pinkle, I have a bone to pick with you. I responded to this thread yesterday and then by last night, I had the first canker sore I've had in months. Why did you curse me? :p

Pinkle

Uh oh, SoftRain! My most sincere apologies!! It's odd how you don't get these things until you start thinking about them, or else you don't get them until ten other things are going wrong as well. What's that old adage? ... Oh yeah! When it rains, it pours!!

Primrose, thanks for the explanation on alum and merthiolate. I'll definitely be stocking up!

SoftRain

Don't worry, Pinkle. It was just odd, and obviously I'm not really upset. Luckily it's already healed. I forgot how much they hurt, especially when you brush your teeth.

Pinkle

I was shopping in Walmart over the weekend and actually came across a mouth wash specifically made for when you have a canker sore. Did you know about that, SoftRain? If not, you might want to stock up if you get them somewhat frequently. For some reason, I tend to get one EVERY time I get sick with something else, so I bought a bottle to keep in the bathroom cabinet.

Glad your sore healed quickly! Mine have finally healed as well but it felt like it took forever!!

Lyra

I used to get sores in my mouth. I have not had one since I started supplementing with B6 years ago. I also no longer get similar sores on my scalp. B6 deficiency can manifest in wounds that don't want to heal. I don't know if it is related exactly or not. But I am glad I don't get them any more! Of course, now that I have posted on this thread, I will probably get one tomorrow.