Calcium supplements and joint pain?

SilverVeil

I tried taking Centrum Silver with calcium but had bad joint pains, so I stopped. I later heard on a radio talk show that calcium has a bad reaction to caffeine. Is there any truth to this and what can I take instead. I am lactose intolerant so increasing dairy is not an option. Neither is giving up coffee. ;)

SallyA

I've never heard that calcium and caffeine react, but I do know that there are different forms of calcium. Some are more easily assimilated into our systems. Maybe it wasn't so much of a reaction to caffeine as it was your body needing a different, more easily assimilated form of calcium.

It's just a thought. I'm in no way trained in the medical field. Does anyone know? Could it have been the form of calcium that was in the vitamins and not a reaction to caffeine?

thecure

You are right, they do interact. When you drink caffeine drinks, the amount of calcium you absorb is further diminished. Usually, however, only 20 % of the calcium you take is absorbed.

Clover

Would that be the same with foods high in calcium? Or maybe she can drink her coffee/caffeine at a time of day other than when she takes her vitamines.

boobah

I would suggest taking the calcium at night after dinner and not drinking coffee anytime after 3 or 4 pm. Even then have dinner at 7 or 8. Give your body time to metabolize the calcium.

glider

Usually, joint pains occur owing to weakening of bone mass. Hence, doctors prescribe Calcium tablets to those suffering from joint pains. Since, calcium intake will strengthen the bones, Calcium tablets are recommended. However, I am not aware of link between Calcium and Caffeine.