Caffeine and vision loss

Lyra

A new study has just come out suggesting that regular caffeine consumption is linked with vision loss, from glaucoma. It looks like three cups of coffee a day is the threshold for increased problems.

In a paper published on October 3, 2012 The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Inc. (ARVO) has reported: "New study links caffeinated coffee to vision loss." A new study has suggested caffeinated coffee drinkers should limit their intake in order to reduce their chances of developing vision loss or blindness. Heavy caffeinated coffee consumption has been found to be associated with an increased risk of developing exfoliation glaucoma, which is the leading cause of secondary glaucoma worldwide, according to a scientific paper which has been published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science.

Well I have never heard of this before now. "Someone" always seems to come up with something all the time. I'm not a coffee drinker but do have glaucoma. I'm lucky that the pressure isn't real high and controllable with eye drops.

Primrose

That's interesting. It's another one of those scare tactics I think. If you just eat healthy, drink healthy and do everything in moderation, I think we will all be O.K. Don't you?

SoftRain

It's still a bit alarming, don't you think? I'll pass it on to my husband, who is an avid coffee drinker (5-6 cups of coffee daily), and see what he thinks.

chabella

All Lady
The few issues I have seen when I did drink coffee too much many years ago I remember something similar to that. It was almost like a sugar rush that felt like it never wanted to stop and made me a little dizzy.

Hyacinth

I came across this news but just didn't have time to read the whole report. I love coffee, but my maximum is 3 cups a day, so it looks like I am still within the threshold. :rolleyes:

I drink a ton of coffee and soda and I don't have any problems with glaucoma. I come from a family of serious coffee drinkers too and as far as I know none of them has ever had glaucoma. I think this study can go with the 500 others that say something is bad for you.

Lucinda

I'm glad I never drank coffee much, but I do overdo the diet cola. Most disabilities are ones I know I don't want, but being blind would be one of the worst, I think.

Sage

On the flip side, there is also a study that suggest that the use of caffiene can help minimize your chances of getting Parkinson's disease. Sometimes it seems like there is a different study every week.

chabella

All Lady
It is just part of the reason I cut back on caffeine, the extra calories are not worth it either. I still know some people that can not function without any caffeine and while I could understand a cup or even two in the mornings some people are drinking caffeine until noon or even later. I just do not get it.

Aletha

I won't drink more than 20 ounces a day of any caffeinated beverage. I cut off drinking anything caffeinated by 1pm in order to make sure I sleep that night. I have had my blood pressure to elevate because of drinking too much caffeine so I cut back then.

Claudette

I'm going to definitely start cutting down on my diet cola. I try to get caffeine-free, but I know I've spent most days way past that threshold. I hope it's not too late to start.

Hedda

Too much of anything is not healthy. I think if we are honest with ourselves, we know what we consume too much of and not enough of. It's good to take stock of eating habits from time to time.