Cabbage as Detox Food

Cassia

I was just reading that cabbage is a good detoxifying food. It contains phytonutrients and antioxidants such as glutathione which is in turn beneficial to the liver when it comes to its detoxifying function.

Carolynn

I didn't know that either. I wonder if that is why the cabbage soup diet works so well. Maybe the cabbage sucks all of the toxins out of your body.

AppleMay

I actually love cooked cabbage but didn't realize it was good for this. I wonder how much of it you are suppose to eat? Maybe I will try eating it more often now.

shaunche

Yep, cabbage is a good detoxifier, as is broccoli. Cabbage also contains glutamine, important for muscle repair and recovery. I eat cabbage every day, I love cabbage braised with onions, garlic and thyme, one of my favouite vegetables!

beckyv1265

Cabbage leaves have a natural antiseptic propertiesand can be aplied directly to woundsand bruises to help relieve pain and promote healing. Its a member of the brassica family. Its great for fighting cancer and is also linked to preventing Alzheimers. Its also has a low glycemic index.

Luvkenny

I bet that is why the cabbage diet works so well. I tried it once but could not stick to it. Cabbage makes me gassy and go to the bathroom a lot - hence a good detox food.

Parker

I never knew cabbage had a these great properties. My mom made cabbage all the time when I was a kid, but I never ate it. I prefer it raw. I don't like it really soft. Recently, a friend made steamed cabbage and it was fabulous. I have been meaning to go to China Town to pick up a steamer at a good (read cheap) price.

Cassia

I bet that is why the cabbage diet works so well. I tried it once but could not stick to it. Cabbage makes me gassy and go to the bathroom a lot - hence a good detox food.
I have heard about the cabagge soup diet, too. I like cabbage but I don't think I can handle having cabbage soup for seven days straight. :)

gina121

I had a friend who went on the cabbage soup diet. She said she found it hard, but was thankful at the end of the 7 days. It helped her lose weight, and her back pain vanished, she claimed. I suppose it can be a great way to switch to a healthy diet. First detox, then switch!

srj

Cabbage can be good, I have tried broccoli though and found that helping quite much. I gotta try cabbage sometimes, tell me if it works!

xenon

I actually love cooked cabbage but didn't realize it was good for this. I wonder how much of it you are suppose to eat? Maybe I will try eating it more often now.
I absolutely love cabbage. We grow it often and just finished the last one recently a savoy. Nothing like home grown and it's one of the easiest brasicas other than Kale to grow. I knew it was full of sulphur. It goes through stages when cooked losing some and actually gaining others sulfur structures. Allow 5 minutes after cutting before cooking.

MellowGuy

This sounds like great news about cabbage. Is there a specific way to cook cabbage to get the full benefits? I like to saute vegetables (including cabbage) but I'm not a big fan of cabbage when it is too soft and breaking apart.

Cabbage soup diet? That sounds like another fad diet that backfires with double weight regain.

dissn_it

I never thought of cabbage as a detox food before. We don't eat a lot of it but may try to add more into our diets. I just don't think I could eat it for 7 days in a row! :eek:

Yep, cabbage is pretty excellent stuff. :)

You can juice it if you want to eat it raw. Personally, I find attempting to eat it raw is far too hard on my jaw. Too chewy, similar to raw kale. But it's awesome nicely browned in a stir fry with garlic and coconut oil and plenty of spicy chilis. Also--have you guys heard of kimchi? If you haven't, look it up. It will change your entire world. :)

iluvmario

I love cabbage! I make sure to eat it often because it is a food that helps with hair growth and health. It is also a low carb 0 fat food. I never knew it assisted in detoxing the system as well. Just another great benefit. I will have some for my snack in a few minutes.

iampeebs

Why is this diet becoming popular all of a sudden? It has been around for quite some time, but now I am hearing about it everywhere. Maybe I will have to give it a try just to see.

Another thing about cabbage is that it's incredibly cheap. Compared to spinach or kale, one head of green cabbage is super affordable and will last a long time. We've had three meals so far from the one head I have in my fridge (cabbage soup and two different stir fries) and there is still enough left for maybe another two meals.

I had a delicious cabbage and spinach stir fry last night. It was easy to make too. I simply browned some chopped green cabbage in coconut oil in the iron skillet, then added some garlic and spinach on top and let it steam for a few minutes. The cabbage turned out good and the spinach was really creamy. I'm trying to eat cabbage almost every day of the week for healing and detoxification benefits.

iampeebs

Hmmm, I'm not a cabbage fan, but everything you just said makes sense and makes me want to give it a shot. I think next time I am at the grocers, I will pick some up and see what wonders I can do with it. Thanks for all the great information.

Try it with turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sea salt, and maybe some chili powder. The turmeric turns the cabbage bright yellow and makes for a spicy, pretty dish. :) Plus turmeric is really anti-inflammatory. I add it to everything.