breast density

chabella

All Lady
I read an article talking about breast density and how this can change over time along with mammograms not always picking up because cancer and bone the density show the same way (all white). I am not of the age to get one yet but I am curious, how else can you check for something like this other than what we are doing even if that is not working?

Lyra

Don't forget to factor in the nasty little secret that mammograms may cause as much cancer as they reveal. It would be nice if there was a fool-proof, easy way to screen for breast cancer, but in truth it is pretty complicated.

SoftRain

Wait, how do mammograms cause cancer? Is that why they raised the recommended age to start getting them?

I don’t know if there are any other ways to pick up on breast cancer. I don’t think they recommend self-exams anymore.

Lyra

Just a few years ago, weren't they saying that self-exams caught as many cancer cases as mammograms? Like I said, it is complicated and no one agrees how it should be dealt with.

Here is an article about radiation and mammograms. I try to limit x-rays, too, unless they are needed. Our lifetime radiation load is so huge nowadays!

There are also studies showing mammograms lead to many false positives. Many women may be receiving dangerous treatment who do not even need it.

chabella

All Lady
I always self check and everyone knows the joke about how a husband is always more than willing to help out. The thing that bugs me with x-rays is that everyone and anyone wants one done. I think in the past 10 years I have gotten three and two were for dental work only.