Breast Cancer and Long-Term Night Shifts

Myrrh

I just read that a recent research found a link between night-shift work and the risk of breast cancer. In the study, women who worked night shifts for 30 years or more were twice as likely to develop breast cancer.

lolli

Why? They must have given a reason right? That makes no sense at all. Why would working nights and breast cancer be linked? Maybe they thought that women who worked nights got less sleep. Less sleep means less energy so less exercise?

StarGazer

I don't see a connection between working nights and breast cancer. Did the study give any reason? Or details of who the participants were? I'd be interested in reading more about this if you have a link to the study results.

chabella

All Lady
I do not see a connection either myself and I have worked my fair share of overnight shifts. Working 10's (ten hour shifts) back to back is a killer) but I have never heard of this before.

Lyra

Wow! That is insane. It really makes me wonder. I know that long-term night shift work is actually pretty hard on the body. We can't ever completely change our circadian rhythms. I wonder if it relates to lowered immunity due to sleep issues. Another thought is it could be that professions that have women working night shifts expose women to more environmental toxins.