Breaks Without Vacation

SoftRain

I'm a bit stressed at the moment and could use a vacation from, well, my life. Unfortunately that isn't possible at the moment. What do you do to give yourself a break?

Primrose

Have you ever taken a mental health day? Just one day off work to go somewhere close, go out to lunch, take in a movie or go shopping. Maybe you prefer to stay home to read and drink coffee. My problem with staying at home is I see too much that needs to be done so I try to get away.

Pinkle

I'm with Primrose on this one. I work from home and take classes online, so whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed with stress, the best thing for me to do is to leave the house for a few hours. Even if I just go for a walk in the park, I come home feeling much better.

SoftRain

I have small children and I stay at home with them. They, although much loved, are the primary source of my stress. Leaving them all day requires pumping, since I breastfeed, which is why I usually don't leave them for long. Maybe I should see if my mother-in-law will take them for a day, though, since I really do need some time.

nutti

Exercise! That is the thing that makes me feel the best. Kickboxing is great! You get away from it all and you concentrate on "you"! There is nothing better than that when you are feeling stressed.

Cassia

I set a day in which I do and have nothing but leisure. By leisure I mean curling up in bed with a good book and a cup of coffee at my side or watching a movie. Sometimes, I go to the mall and buy myself something or dine out.

SoftRain

I exercise 2-3 days a week at the gym and it is quite helpful to have that time.

Cassia, I would absolutely love to have a day like that. I haven't had a day like that in almost 3.5 years.

chabella

All Lady
Getting away even for a quick trip is a great idea. I know many people that will take off and just turn the cell off and let the calls go to voice-mail. It sounds like you might need to unplug yourself too.

Pinkle

SoftRain, are you a reader? As a kid, I used to pass my summer breaks away by reading, but as an adult, it's a lot harder to find time for leisurely reading. Still, I haven't found any better way to escape from all the problems I tend to dwell on. Maybe you could check out a book from your local library and try to read for 20 or 30 minutes each night after kids are in bed? I know it helps me a lot, especially on days that I just can't get out of the house for this reason or that...

Sage

I've been thinking of taking mental health day, but have too much work at the moment to take one. If you can't do anything else --- have the father of the children watch them for a couple of hours. Leave the house and go for a drive or go get a manicure.

SoftRain

SoftRain, are you a reader? As a kid, I used to pass my summer breaks away by reading, but as an adult, it's a lot harder to find time for leisurely reading. Still, I haven't found any better way to escape from all the problems I tend to dwell on. Maybe you could check out a book from your local library and try to read for 20 or 30 minutes each night after kids are in bed? I know it helps me a lot, especially on days that I just can't get out of the house for this reason or that...
Oh yes. I'm an avid reader and it's one thing I wish I had more time to do. I read for awhile after the kids are in bed if I'm not too tired and it does help.

freshfoodie

I think seeing if your mother-in-law can watch them is a great idea. Sometimes we all just need a break to do something we want to do versus things we have to do. I like to shut myself in the bathroom with a hot cup of coffee, a good book and a bubble bath to get a quick break.