Blood pressure woes

boobah

My mother is 80. She has never drank, smoked and she has eaten super healthy her entire life. She was one of those original health good gurus way back from the way back. She has stayed fit and really takes care of herself. Yet she has high blood pressure and doctors don't know why. Are there herbal ways to lower blood pressure?

Georgia

I have used parsley, which is a dialectic. I'm not sure of the scientific reason, but diuretics do work to lower blood presser. You also need to lower salt intake, as that will also increase blood pressure. It might just be genetic, and she gets it from her family tree.

enthusiast

I'm taking hawthorn for high blood pressure with my doctor's approval. It's working great. I read recently that cinnamon helps to lower blood pressure, too. In addition to taking whatever you take, a very important part of lowering blood pressure is to exercise. We should work that into our daily routine, too.

wanderingherb

Yes, please keep in mind the elderly stage. At this time, the body changes, and sometimes medicine is needed.

Some supplements also help. Like CoQ10, cayenne, garlic and others.

If she is on heart medicine or any other medicine, be very careful what you introduce. Sometimes at an elderly age, medicines are necessary because in a "pharmaceutical" the amounts are delivered precisely. With herbs you are working with imprecise (even though we try to be precise) and other active constituents.

A consultation with an herbalist who is practiced in the field of elderly would be great to have a visit with.

Nutrition also. Some foods or spices will bring up the blood pressure, or lower.

Some activities will do the same.

wanderingherb

herbalistic

Beet Juice Lowers Blood Pressure

A study Published in the American Heart Association’s journal called “Hypertension”, came to the conclusion that beet juice is a highly effective treatment for lowering blood pressure, thinning blood and maintaining blood vessel integrity. And, it acts very quickly, usually within 30 minutes. The beneficial effects lasted for more than 24 hours.

I would caution you to mix the beet juice with water or perhaps carrot juice though, since beet juice is so powerful some people become slightly nauseated when they take it straight - especially if it is fresh squeezed.

In the study outlined, beet juice was compared to nitrate tables. It turns out that beet juice was just as effective in lowering blood pressure as the nitrate.

Beets contain naturally occurring, organic nitrates, which increase nitric oxide (NO) in the blood. Nitric oxide causes muscles to relax and your blood vessels to dilate. This increases blood flow, reduces hypertension and has a beneficial effect on blood vessel linings.

Beet juice also increases blood flow to the brain very effectively.

Research done by the “Center for Translation Sciences”, demonstrated that volunteers who ate a meal that included 16 ounces of beet juice, had increased blood flow to the area of the brain most often associated with cognitive decline.

So, it is something that could be especially beneficial for the elderly. I am 63 years old and take about 8 ounces every other day... fresh squeezed... from my local health food coop. I can attest to it's beneficial effects!