Baking

SoftRain

Do you like to bake? Do you do anything to make it more healthy, or simply enjoy the full fat versions?

I find baking to be very relaxing but am not good about trying to make the food healthier.

I do several things to make my baked goods healthier. First, I use unsweetened applesauce in place of oil in everything I bake from cakes to brownies. I also use Stevia or Splenda instead of sugar in most things. Sometimes I use whole wheat flour (regular or pastry depending on the baked good) as well. You can use egg whites or bananas in place of whole eggs.

naturelady

You have some good tips, ComingUpDaisy. I like to use applesauce, too, but I usually forget that is an option. I think I need to keep more applesauce on hand.

SoftRain

I really need to start trying the applesauce trick and I like the egg white/banana substitution as well. Have you found they affected the texture or behavior (e.g. ability to rise) of the baked goods?

DixieMarie

I don't really do a lot of baking but when I do, I like to use the applesauce and Splenda trick too. I didn't know about the bananas in place of the eggs though, thanks for that tip.

freshfoodie

I have noticed that when using the applesauce in place of the oil, it makes the cakes much moister. I would never go back to using oil for sure. I have used bananas in a pinch because I started making a cake and then realized my significant other had hard boiled all of the eggs. I didn't notice a big difference in texture or behavior.

I love to bake. There is usually something backing every weekend in my house and the kids like to help too so it ends up turning into a big, messy, crazy family time. Love it!

Pat

These are great tips, I love to bake and have been looking for ways to make the goodies more healthy. I have used applesauce before but will use it in place of oil in the future. Never heard of bananas in place of eggs. That is a good tip will use that the next time I make muffins.

dziomek

I do several things to make my baked goods healthier. First, I use unsweetened applesauce in place of oil in everything I bake from cakes to brownies. I also use Stevia or Splenda instead of sugar in most things. Sometimes I use whole wheat flour (regular or pastry depending on the baked good) as well. You can use egg whites or bananas in place of whole eggs.
I did not realize those substitutions were possible. I like to bake, and worse yet - like to eat what I bake. Chocolate chip cookies never last in our house, no matter how many dozens I make. :p I am probably worse than the kids. :)

Lena51

I use to love to bake but now that my children are grown, I seldom go toward the kitchen for baking. I only do cornbread, chicken, and most of my meats now as far as baking is concerned. I do a lot of boiling food like greens and such but not very much baking any more. I did love it when I did bake but not so smart like that any more.

Esperahol

I find that Stevia and Splenda are much worse than sugar and that they give my family headaches. I have also unfortunately found that I hate whole wheat anything. I just don't like the taste or the texture.

Waynefire

My wife loves to bake and she uses the recipes like they are supposed to be used. We do not skimp or make any of the fake stuff for people to eat.

TabithaW

I am not a big baker, but my 10 y/o son loves to bake. Last week he made pumpkin biscuits, blackberry buttermilk muffins, and applesauce cake all from scratch. This week he wants to make cranberry scones and a cake using 'fondant' as icing for the first time. I know nothing about fondant. I guess we will learn together.

I love to bake and have used the applesauce in place of oil, but I never knew about the bananas in place of eggs. Also, using the sweeteners instead of the sugar, does it change the taste of the baked goods, making it sweeter or anything? I know you obviously use a lot less sweetener than you do sugar, but I make fudge and it is pretty sweet already, I don't know about it being sweeter.

I have heard of using applesauce but not the banana and eggs. I have also heard of using other fruit purees like pumpkin to replace the oil and add fiber. If you dislike the whole wheat taste you can do half and half with regular white flour. It is less noticeable and still healthier. I became a fan of the SneakyChef a while back because she adds veggies and fruit to her recipes without the kids noticing.

ssamcd

Thanks for the great thread and all the great tips on baking. Never heard about the applesauce or the banana's. I am going to try that sometime. :)

aphil

I absolutely like to bake! I love to eat the treats and share them with my family. When I bake, I'm a rock star to my family! I do have healthy versions of baking. I use unrefined oils and sugar when I bake and there is no difference in the taste. I don't feel as quilty because I know it is healthy. Now if I can just control my tastebuds and not eat so much!:rolleyes:

shaunche

I occasionally bake for a special treat during the weekend, but not often. I don't use flour which rules out most baking recipes. I have tried using coconut and almond flour with little success. There are a few more recipes I want to try before I give up on healthy baking, though.