Baking soda and regular dosing

Nina

I told my husband I had read that taking a little baking soda at night before he goes to bed might help with his indigestion and reflux. He's been doing this for a little over a week now. I'm rethinking the issue, even though I've read the box. Is there danger in having a half teaspoon of baking soda in water over long periods of time?

pafjlh

There is a warning listed out here online that states that although baking soda can be a good way to help treat Acid Reflux prolong use isn't a good idea. From what I have been able to determine in my research prolong use of baking soda over a long period of time can over naturalize stomach acid which can lead to other digestive issues. Also, if your husband has hypertension like I do, because Baking Soda has a sodium content this can also lead to elevating blood pressure. My best advice to you is to do more research on baking soda and other natural ways to control GERD. You can also consult your family doctor, and see what they have to say. Some doctors are open minded to natural treatments for conditions such as GERD, so see what they have to say.

Lyra

I've always heard about using it on an as needed basis, rather than regularly. My father used to use it when he was uncomfortable with indigestion. I would definitely be cautious about every day use.

Luvkenny

Wow, eating baking soda is something that I have never heard of. I know I wouldn't try it. There are so many other ways to help with heartburn. I drink milk prior to going to bed, this seems to work for me.

aphil

Unless it is otherwise listed, baking soda also contains aluminum, which is not good to consume; especially on a regular basis. I put either fresh ginger or fennel seeds in my food to help it be digested better.

quitetenacious

Have your husband start taking papaya enzyme. I started taking the chewable version of this and I take the maximum dosage of three pills three times a day and my acid reflux has improved dramatically. I have not heard of the baking soda remedy but I would be leary of it. Prolonged use of baking soda doesn't seem like it would have a positive long term effect on the digestive system.

Esperahol

Generally one should not use baking soda regularly as a digestive, however if one is having an immediate issue then it can be used as a remedy. I would suggest looking into your husband's diet and trying to make changes. You may find that the removal or substitution of some parts will go a long way in helping.