Anything I can do at home - shin splints?

LoveNature

Okay, so I made a stupid mistake. I'm a runner for fitness - I run about 4-5 days a week. Lately I've been short on money and so couldn't afford to replace my running shoes (which I've also been using for all my errands and walking). They've been horrible worn out for a few months now (to the point that the guy at the running room was ready to lecture me). I finally got new shoes but now I have a problem...bad, bad shin splints.

I understand I need to stop running for a few weeks. But is there anything I can do to help them heal faster/better? Running is a big deal and a huge stress relief for me, so it's very difficult to stay away from it...I'd like to shorten the time off as much as possible. I can't afford to see a doctor.

Also, I have pains in the tops of my foot too that feel similar, like tiny stress fractures.

Any input is much appreciated.

jason

Have a great day
I wish I could answer. I get them bad when I run/jog. I had to stop. I would try warm water bathes to help sooth the pain. If they were real bad, and I've had them where I could not walk, it did not always work.