Alternative to catnip?

blossom

My cats do not respond to catnip, which is a problem because since we've adopted them, they scratch our furniture. I was hoping there was something else out there that I could put on the scratching post to encourage the behavior to go there.

LoveNature

How old are your cats? Generally catnip will have no effect until the cat reaches a year of age or (in some cases) more. If they're young that may be your problem. Also take a look at the quality of your catnip. Perhaps it's very poor or very old.

I would find a treat they like and scatter them (in reasonable amounts, of course) on and around the cat post(s). This will positively condition them (over time - don't expect instant results or you'll give up on anything worthwhile before seeing its true effect) to the post and they're likely to start hanging out there more.

You can also try a loud hissing noise and a step towards them when you catch them scratching furniture. It sounds silly, I know, but I have found this to be very effective and a mild discipline with my cats.

Jasmyne

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water.... when the kitty scratches furniture, don't say a word, spray the furball in water.

It doesn't take long for the message to get across... but make sure that there's a "proper" place for the kitties to call their own to scratch at. :)

wanderingherb

Some people keep "grass green" like in the store for us to eat wheat grass...anyway they keep that around the house for their cats. Its the young shoots.

LoveNature

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water.... when the kitty scratches furniture, don't say a word, spray the furball in water.

It doesn't take long for the message to get across... but make sure that there's a "proper" place for the kitties to call their own to scratch at. :)
The only issue with this is that the cats will almost invariably learn that the cue for the unpleasant sensation of water is you + spray bottle...therefore MOST cats will continue to scratch provided you + the spray bottle are not in the vicinity. Of course the same goes for my hissing suggestion though it may be more effective due to the "social disapproval" shown (assuming they take it that way...I'm better versed in dog behaviour than cat admittedly).