Absorbing more iron

StarGazer

For those trying to boost their iron levels, I wanted to make you aware of something. When you take iron supplements, or even eat iron-rich foods, your body can not absorb it all so you lose a lot of it. Drink a small glass of orange juice when you take the supplement or eat and it helps your body absorb more of the iron.

Lyra

I always forget that one! The vitamin C works together with the iron. I can never remember if it is iron or calcium that vitamin C helps you to absorb.

rayne

I never knew that StarGazer. OJ helps to absorb iron? Good tip. Thanks! I love OJ and will happy to drink some before a meal. The last two times I've tried to give blood, they wouldn't take me because of low iron. Maybe next time.

SoftRain

Calcium blocks iron absorption, so try to avoid it for a couple hours around the time you take your iron supplement. We always buy the calcium-fortified orange juice so I guess they’d cancel each other out. ;)

Lyra

Calcium blocks iron absorption, so try to avoid it for a couple hours around the time you take your iron supplement. We always buy the calcium-fortified orange juice so I guess they’d cancel each other out. ;)
Ha! There you go. That's why I always get the vitamin C and calcium confused as to which one aids absorption. Perhaps I should write this down and tape it up somewhere in my kitchen.